“Bake” it happen with these chocolate cupcakes (from scratch!)
Not to toot my own horn, but my homemade chocolate cupcakes are out of this world!
…or at least, that’s what my family tells me.
When it comes to baking, I love going the homemade route. My chocolate cupcakes from scratch are easy to whip up – so there’s no need to be intimidated with my recipe.
From Cake to Cupcake
Recipes for cupcakes and cakes are definitely interchangeable. Cupcakes are just smaller forms of cakes! I often get asked, “Can I use a chocolate cupcake recipe to make a cake?” And YES! Normally, you just have to double the batch. So for my chocolate cupcake recipe, just use 2x the ingredients and it should fill 2 standard round 9-inch pans.
How to Make Chocolate Cupcakes From Scratch
I think every family needs a classic chocolate cupcake recipe in their repertoire. What’s best is that this recipe doesn’t require any fancy ingredients. On top of your regular cupcake ingredients like flour, eggs, milk, etc., ½ cup of good quality cocoa powder is all you need to bring this dessert to life. Read below for our recipe!
Chocolate Cupcakes from Scratch
For the Cupcakes
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 stick butter softened
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3-4 tbsp milk
- Chocolate chips
- Line a muffin pan with paper cupcake liners (hint: when I’m using plain paper liners, as opposed to the ones with an aluminium lining, I double them!). Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In an electric stand mixer, start beating egg and sugar on medium speed. While that is mixing, sift your dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Add vegetable oil and milk into your egg and sugar mixture. Continue mixing.
- Slowly add your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients, one third at a time. Mix thoroughly.
- Once all of the ingredients are combined, add boiling water and mix. This will make the batter runny – exactly how you want it to be!
- Pour batter into your lined muffin pan, about 1/4 cup for each section.
- Bake 13-15 minutes and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- With an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, cocoa powder, and milk until smooth. Your buttercream frosting is complete once it forms semi-stiff peaks.
- Using a piping bag, frost each cupcake. Top with chocolate chips and enjoy!