We’ve been bitten by the Toilet Paper Love Bug!
This Love Bug Valentine Craft is tons of fun to make with your kiddos. Plus, it encourages reusing and recycling. We took the time to “collect” our empty toilet paper rolls, which got us very excited to for our Valentine craft.
There’s something about Valentine’s Day that makes me SUPER jolly. Everything about the holiday makes me giddy: the romance, the colours, the unlimited chocolate (calories don’t count on V-Day, right?!).
As a mom, I love getting my little one involved in our Valentine celebrations. We make a special day out of it, exchanging gifts with daddy and preparing a lovely dinner for everyone to enjoy. Yup, now that we’re a little family, everyone is included in our V-Day dates!
Valentine’s Day Decorations
We can’t deny that I am in love with the colour pink. I mean, come on: just take a look at my Instagram account.
Valentine’s Day gives me the perfect excuse to adorn my home with multiple shades of pink. Of course, I love going the DIY route for my V-Day decorations. It’s a great way to stay budget-friendly while keeping my personal décor aesthetics in-mind!
Toilet Paper Roll DIY
It’s amazing what you can do with a simple household item (and one that most people put straight in the recycling bin!). Remember the time we made DIY snowmen out of TP rolls? Well, today’s concept is very similar: Toilet Paper Roll Love Bugs!
This Toilet paper roll DIY is simple and requires very few supplies. My toddler loved taking part in the painting process. If you’re going to do this project with your little ones, I recommend you do the same! The other steps require scissors and a hot glue gun, so adult supervision is a must. (Better yet, it’s safer that you do the cutting and assembly). They’ll be happy with the finished product no matter what!
Where to Display Your Love Bug Valentine Craft
This Love Bug Valentine Craft looks awesome on shelves and mantles. We put ours on our living room console table, which acts like a mantle. It’s also a great addition to bookshelves – they give them a little added Valentine touch (subtle and romantic!).
What Supplies Do I Need for this Valentine Toilet Paper Roll Craft?
As mentioned earlier, this V-Day craft requires very little supplies to put together. In fact, if you’re a regular crafter, you probably already have the items to complete the project!
The supplies you’ll need are the following:
- Empty toilet paper rolls
- Acrylic paint (colours of your choice – we opted for pink and red)
- Paint brush (or a foam brush)
- Pipe cleaners
- Googly eyes
- Hot glue gun
Check Out the Video Tutorial!
See below for our video tutorial – this is especially helpful if you’re a more visual person.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel so that you can see all of our DIY and recipe videos!
How to Make a Love Bug Out of Toilet Paper Rolls
Here it is, ladies and gents: the easiest Valentine’s DIY out there! These are the simple steps to follow to make your very own Toilet Paper Roll Love Bugs.
Toilet Paper Roll DIY: Love Bug Valentine Craft
- 1 empty toilet paper roll
- Acrylic paint colour of your choice
- Paint brush
- Pipe cleaners colour of your choice
- Grey cardstock
- 2 googly eyes
- Hot glue gun
- Hot glue gun sticks
- Begin by painting the toilet paper roll with the acrylic paint of your choice. Depending on the colour you choose, you may need 2 layers. Allow the paint to dry.
- As the paint dries, cut out 2 pieces of pipe cleaners, about 2 inches long each. If you have extra pipe cleaner pieces, save for another project or additional Toilet Paper Roll Love Bugs.
- Cut out 2 rectangular pieces of cardstock, 4 inches x 2.5 inches each.
- Fold each cardstock in half. Draw out half a heart on one side and cut to create a cardstock heart.
- Time to assemble! Use a hot glue gun to glue both cardstock hearts on one side of the painted toilet paper roll.
- Turn over the roll and glue the googly eyes towards the top portion of it.
- Add glue to the bottom of the pipe cleaner pieces and secure each one on the inner front of the toilet paper roll.
- Give the top of each pipe cleaner a little bend.
Aren’t these toilet paper roll love bugs absolutely adorable?! What colours would you choose to make yours?