We love this cobbler BERRY much!
Dutch ovens are key for any kitchen. They go from stovetop to oven, and are the perfect tool for cooking or baking a delicious dish. Any Dutch oven of great quality ensures even cooking temperatures, allowing you to whip-up delicious meals and desserts to impress your family!
And yes, I did say baking.
Wait, what?! Baking in a Dutch oven? Yes, it’s totally a thing and today, I’m showing you how – and with a blackberry cobbler, no less.
My Dutch Oven Blackberry Cobbler recipe is a warm, comforting dessert that’s perfect for those who love fruity treats. My rendition is made directly in the Dutch oven, so there’s very little mess when you’re whipping it up!
What is a Cobbler?
A cobbler is a fruit dessert that contain a pie-crust or biscuit-type topping. It’s usually baked in a deep dish, which is why a Dutch oven is perfect for it.
This is what makes cobbler different from a crumble. A crumble’s topping usually consists of oats, sugar and butter. Cobbler, on the other hand, is a much thicker crust – making for a more luscious dessert.
Can I Use Any Fruit for Cobblers?
From experience, I find that berries and stone fruit are the best to use for cobblers. This is because they attain that “jammy” consistency once baked – and won’t necessarily ooze, gooze, and slime while it’s cooking.
Kana Dutch Ovens: The Perfect Piece for Your Blackberry Cobbler
Dutch ovens, as aforementioned, are the ideal pieces to have in your kitchen. I’ve been obsessing over my enamelled Dutch oven from Kana. Its quality is superb, allowing my meals and desserts to cook/bake to perfection. I also love the fact that it’s extremely easy to maintain!
The fact that I can go from stove to oven with my Kana Dutch Oven has been a game-changer. I’m excited to share with you my Dutch Oven Blackberry Cobbler – made in my Kana Dutch oven, of course!
How to Make a Blackberry Cobbler in Your Dutch Oven
Without further ado, here’s my recipe for blackberry cobbler – an easy treat to whip up in your favourite Dutch oven!
Dutch Oven Blackberry Cobbler
For the Blueberry Mixture
- 5 cups frozen blueberries
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp butter melted
For the Cobbler Topping
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup granulated sugar + 2 tsp divided
- ¼ cup butter softened
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Lightly grease Dutch oven with butter. Add blackberries, vanilla, lemon juice, sugar and mix. Sprinkle with flour followed by the butter.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine all cobbler topping ingredients (except for 2 tsp sugar cinnamon and nutmeg) and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Scoop topping onto the fruit mixture. In a small bowl, mix together 2 tsp sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and sprinkle on top.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until top is golden. Serve with vanilla ice cream and enjoy!