Because perfecting Rice Krispie Squares is a parenting “must.”
There’s always a new way to elevate a recipe – even when they’re the simples of desserts.
Rice Krispies are probably one of the first sweets I ever learned to make. When I was younger, microwaving the marshmallows was my preferred method. Sometimes, I’d whip-up individual-sized portions and eat it straight out of the bowl.
Over the years, I have experimented with ingredient ratios and add-ins to perfect my rice cereal treats. Today, I’m sharing my tried and true recipe of Funfetti Rice Krispie Squares, which gives a colourful twist to the classic dessert.
The key to getting the right amount of colour into these treats is by knowing how to spread out your sprinkles. Serious business, right?
When folding the rice krispie mixture, only add half of your sprinkles into the mix. The remaining sprinkles will be used as a garnished once the treats are packed into its baking pan.
The Perfect Consistency
It’s taken me a while to figure out my preference in Rice Krispie Treat variations. I like they gooey but not overly sticky. I also don’t add vanilla extract to mine – the sprinkles give it enough sweetness and flavour!
How to Make Funfetti Rice Krispie Squares
Okay, enough with the chit-chat! Here’s our surefire recipe for Funfetti Rice Krispie Squares – bring on the colour (and the fun!).
Funfetti Rice Krispie Squares
- 3 tbsp butter
- 28 regular-sized marshmallows NOT miniature marshmallows
- 4 cups rice cereal
- 3/4 cup sprinkles
- Line a square pan (9×9) with wax paper with an overhang. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add marshmallows.
- Allow the marshmallows to melt completely while stirring constantly.
- Pour the melted marshmallows into the large bowl of rice cereal. Fold.
- Add half of the sprinkles into the cereal and marshmallow mixture. Fold carefully.
- Pour the rice cereal treats into the lined baking pan and press.
- Garnish the treats with the remaining sprinkles and press down.
- Allow the treats to set in room temperature, about 2 hours. Cut into 9 squares – serve and enjoy!